Glenlyn Academy’s Acting, Singing & Musical Theatre course allows students to develop skills in all aspects of Musical Theatre performance with a focus on Acting and Singing. Students receive individual classes in Singing and Vocal Technique.
The course is structured as follows:
- Level 1 Students take four classes a week in Musical Theatre, Acting, Singing & Vocal Technique and select a fourth dance discipline from Street Jazz, Acrobatics, Ballet, Technical Jazz and Tap.
- Level 2 Students take four classes a week in Musical Theatre, Acting, Singing & Vocal Technique and select a fourth dance discipline from Street Jazz, Acrobatics, Ballet, Technical Jazz, Tap, Commercial, Contemporary and Boys Dance.
- Level 3 Students take five classes a week in Musical Theatre, Acting, Singing & Vocal Technique, Contextual Studies and select a fourth dance discipline from Street Jazz, Acrobatics, Ballet, Technical Jazz, Tap, Commercial, Contemporary and Boys Dance.
Girls on the Acting, Singing & Musical Theatre Course course can choose specialist classes in developing the strength and technique required to go ‘en pointe’. Boys can choose specialist classes that focus on developing strength, stamina and technique.
Students on the Acting, Singing & Musical Theatre course cover:
- Fundamental techniques of singing, acting and dancing
- Solo singing classes to develop strong and confident vocal technique
- Group exercises, drama games and improvisation
- Script work and the ability to bring text to life on stage
- Understanding and developing characters
- An understanding of the fundamentals of dance: including turns, steps and kicks
- Developing posture, co-ordination and correct placement in dance
- Improving self-confidence while developing greater balance, flexibility and strength
- A deep understanding of performance and technicality
- Build and develop footwork combinations and choreography
- Technical exercises that improve singing, acting and dance technique
- Exploring the use of voice and body through vocal and physical exercises
- Advanced students take Contextual Studies classes introducing them to the fundamental theories of acting
All students enrolled on to the Acting, Singing & Musical Theatre course are given the opportunity to perform in Glenlyn Academy’s two showcases every year and are entered for examinations with LAMDA (London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art), the NATD (National Association of Teachers of Dancing) and IDTA (International Dance Teachers Association). Advanced students also take part in a full-scale musical in the Spring term.
Senior students receive career and development advice to allow them to make a seamless transition into further and higher education and training.
Parents receive verbal feedback on their child’s development every term and a written report every year.