Glenlyn Academy’s Commercial Dance course is designed for students wanting to focus on the popular form of commercial dance that includes hip hop and street jazz.
The course is structured as follows:
- Level 1 Students take one class a week in Street Jazz
- Level 2 Students take two classes a week in Commercial and select one dance discipline from Street Jazz, Ballet, Tap, Technical Jazz, Acrobatics, Contemporary and Boys Dance.
- Level 3 Students take two classes a week in Commercial and select one dance discipline from Street Jazz, Ballet, Tap, Technical Jazz, Acrobatics, Contemporary and Boys Dance.
Students on the Dance & Performance course cover:
- Developing and refining commercial dance technique
- A deep understanding of postures, isolations, struts, ripples
- Improve musicality, timing and styling
- Learn challenging and innovative choreography
- Build confidence and learn dynamics of performing
All students enrolled on to the Commercial Dance programme are given the opportunity to perform in Glenlyn Academy’s two showcases every year and are entered for medals, awards and examinations with the IDTA (International Dance Teachers Association). Senior students receive career and development advice to allow them to make a seamless transition into further and higher education and training. Parents receive verbal feedback on their child’s development every term and a written report every year.