Glenlyn Academy’s Introduction to Dance course gives students aged 6 to 10 years old an enjoyable and structured foundation in Ballet dance. This course allows students to gain the skill, technique, and confidence of expression to fully enjoy this classic and timeless dance form. Teachers on this programme specialise in Ballet dance.
The Introduction to Dance course for 6 to 10 year olds covers:
- The basic combination of ballet steps: and short, simple choreography
- Barre exercises and stretches: including classic French terminology
- Basic footwork combinations (enchantments)
- An introduction to Ballet allegro
- The fundamental principles of turning
- An understanding of posture and how to stand correctly
- Developing a basic co-ordination of arms, feet and head
Students enrolled on to the Introduction to Dance course take one Ballet class a week.
All students enrolled on to the Introduction to Dance programme are given the opportunity to perform in Glenlyn Academy’s two showcases every year and are entered for medals, awards and examinations with the NATD (National Association of Teachers of Dancing) and IDTA (International Dance Teachers Association). Parents receive verbal feedback on their child’s development every term and a written report every year.